Friday, September 24, 2010

The End of An Experiment. And The Beginning of...




So this will be my final post here at The Zen Of Blogging Blog. It's been a grand experiment, and 7 months ago, when I started this blog to talk ABOUT blogging - I wasn't sure where it would go.

I heard something the other night at a Start Out LA Event that gave me some clarity about my path forward. Oliver Luckett, Co-founder and CEO of DigiSynd Inc., a social media agency, and Corporate SVP, The Walt Disney Company, was speaking about the road to success, and he said,

"You're gonna fail a lot. So fail fast."


The idea being that you have to get through and past the things that aren't working - that aren't getting you where you want to be - and try something else to see if that will work.

Which makes me think of that story about Edison and how many ways he found out NOT to perfect a lightbulb before he figured out how to actually do it. He famously said (and there are many different versions of this quote):

I have not failed 10,000 times. I have successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work.


And then he figured it out, went on to pioneer the entire electric industry, and changed our world forever.


And that's the amazing thing about our new social media like facebook and twitter and blogs - this new way we're all connecting. Innovating and experimenting as you shape your path forward has never been more accessible, or more doable.

And part of innovating, and experimenting, is knowing when you need to end one venture and move your focus to something else.

There's a part of me that doesn't want to say this blog was a failure. But if I'm being honest, it isn't taking me where I want to go. And I couldn't have discovered that if not for taking the Zen of Blogging Blog journey over these past 30 weeks. While I enjoy talking about blogging with others and sharing blogging secrets, I understand now that my true passion lies with my original blog, I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?

I'm also truly passionate about the books I'm writing, the essays I'm crafting, and the empowerment I see taking place in the vast community that I'm lucky enough to be part of - the community of Children's Literature, and the community of Teens (GLBTQ and Straight Allies) and those who care about Teens.

Where those worlds come together is my "sweet spot," and while I really believe in the insights I distilled in "The Zen Of Blogging" e-book, and the secrets of how to blog successfully here at The Zen of Blogging Blog - it's time for me to move on from the meta-conversation (about how to blog) and focus on the content of teen empowerment - through my main blog, where I talk about GLBTQ Teen Books, Culture and Politics, through my fiction and non-fiction writing, and through my work in high schools teaching SMASHING STEREOTYPES! workshops.

I'll be sharing lots more about all these continuing and new ventures over at I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read? in the future weeks, but for now, let me thank the thousands of readers who've found value here. Thank you for being part of my community.

The Zen of Blogging e-book will continue to be available (And hey, I've put it on sale through the end of the year, as a finale present!) And I'm sure there will be times when I can't resist talking about Search Engine Optimization and other fun blogging stuff... And when that happens, hopefully I can do those as guest posts and videos at other wonderful blogs about social media.

For now, I'm declaring the END of this experiment, and I look to the future with a true sense of excitement and hope. After all, I've successfully figured out that this blog is not going to take me where I want to go. And there's so much I want to do!

I thank you, each of you, for sharing this part of the journey.

I hope to see you on twitter, facebook, and my main blog!



Namaste, and Remember to keep it Zen,
Lee

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lee,
    I really enjoyed reading this blog–lot's of great insight into many aspects of writing, not just blog-writing. I will miss it. But I have your e-book to refer to whenever I am inspired to reconsider blogging.

    I am especially grateful for the insights in this final blog: "fail fast" is now my new mantra!

    I will continue to be a reader of your other blog, and see you soon!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy travels, Lee!! Something profound is happening here . . . I can feel it.

    Your journey is a joy to behold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Focus on the content of teen empowerment."... you are amazing, Lee! Those teens NEED you. This isn't a failure, it's part of the journey.

    Love you, man.
    :-)
    R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie, Rita and Robin,
    thank you each for your kind words!
    It means a lot, and I'm so glad to have you share the journey.
    Namaste and Hugs all round,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lee--Thanks for sharing yourself and your decision! I've enjoyed your blog as I've tried to figure out what I want to do with mine. Will the blog content stay live? Or is it going to disappear?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laurasalas,
    I'm going to leave the blog up as is through December - after that I'm not sure. Thanks for your support - it's nice to hear that all this work has been and remains of value to you.
    Good luck with your own blog, and remember, Keep it Zen!
    Namaste,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete